Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years Day

MirrorLake

We went up to Mirror Lake on Mt. Hood to do some snowshoeing today.  The hike was billed as an easy one.  I thought otherwise.  We basically had to climb about 1000 feet from 3500 to 4500 feet.  Don't get me wrong though the view was worth the effort.  Although I couldn't help think as we walked along the trail and switchbacks that it would make a kick ass mountain bike trail!  With studded tires I think I could've had a go at it too.  It took us about 2:15 round trip to do the hike.

Afterwards we hit up the Mt. Hood brewery for some food and drink.  Man what a surprise.  They had good beer and great food.  I did the burger and vegetarian chili but next time I'm doing their pizza.  All the stuff is homemade.  A couple next to us ordered dessert and that looked awesome too...  The traffic was a little busy coming down off the mountain because of the 3-day holiday weekend.

Check out the mountain stream, with waterfall, right next to where we parked!  (the picture does it no justice)

IMG_1290

Pretty pacific northwest girl...

IMG_1294

The trail was basically cut into the side of the mountain.

IMG_1295

Check out these switchbacks... memories of some 12 hour races come to my mind...

IMG_1299

The view from the top.  I ran out of batteries...  There's still more climbing if you want but we finished up with a loop of Mirror Lake and a quick descent.

IMG_1301

Good way to spend New Years Day.  Hope yours was good too.

Later

No comments: