Monday, February 27, 2006

Well it's been 3 weeks now in the Pacific NW. It's rained a total of 1 day. Light rain drops not the downpours of the Midwest. I didn't do any riding this weekend unless you count the 2 mile round trip to the grocery store. I've always wanted to try and do my shopping, commuting, etc by bicycle and make the use of the auto be a exception to the rule. Although I hate to admit it, it helps that out here you aren't viewed upon as being a freak if you walk around the grocery store in your cycling gear. I can't count how many times I've seen people using cloth bags from home instead of the plastic bags in the checkout lane. If someone did that in the Midwest there'd be 'looks' of 'is that person a freak' and sighs of disgust because it takes just a little bit longer for the checkout person to load the grocerys in cloth bags that don't fit the little metal pastic expanding thing for the plastic bags. I think it's cool - they don't recycle the damn plastic bags so where they hell do all those bags end up?

On Friday after work I headed directly to this bar/restaurant/hotel/venue called White Eagle Saloon to meet up with my old friend Jenn. There was a good band playing background music while we talked, drank, and enjoyed happy hour. Heidi showed up around 8 or 9 and we got some dinner there as well. The next band at 9 was pretty good too. The place had good food and it's own brewed beer. The atmoshpere was laid back and casual. They also have 10 rooms that you can stay in.

Heidi went to Eugene, her home town which is about 2 hours south of Portland, to visit her parents and spend some time with her friend Anne so I spent the weekend catching up on some gaming (dinged the 'lock 29 & 30), catching up on watching the Tour of California (grats Floyd Landis), lobotomized myself by watching some World's Strongest Man on ESPN, and also watched some of the Olympics - all the watching was done via the DVR too - no commercials! Anyone like Wallace and Grommit? I think my good friend Kevin back at Harley mentioned that to me awhile back and Heidi had already heard of it and likes it. So we watched Wallace & Gromit in Three Amazing Adventures Sunday night and plan on watching Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit later this week.

No comments: